Thread: MVD problems
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Clair,
I also have had an MVD, as well as another surgery to install a shunt. After my MVD, I did experience some loss of hearing, like my ear was full of water and I had to try to hear through it. The NS said that this was because the nerve to the ear contracts a bit when they work so closely to it. I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but mine cleared up slowly over the course of many weeks. In addition, I had the double vision, very badly at first. My NS told me that the nerve to the parts of your eye that move it left-to-right are very delicate, and near the surgery site, and this is called "4th Nerve Palsy". I had it for 6-7 weeks, and that was SO scary for me - I was very afraid that it would stay. Eventually, my eyes adapted, and the nerve became less bothered, so now I only get it when I am very sleepy. Then, I see two televisions, and know that it's time to rest. I too had a difficult surgery, he found that my arachnoid layer was very scarred and wrapped tightly around everything, so he had to get it all untwisted when he was in there. It took an additional 2 hours to do, and no one came out and told my husband, so he was beside himself by the time that the surgeon came out to talk to him. After my second surgery, I again experienced very bad double vision, and again, it went away.
I hope that this is somehow a comfort to you, and I just want you to know that you are not out there all alone.
A big hug to you, Clair, and please write back if you wouldn't mind,
Lily
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (08-10-2010), supermoo (08-10-2010)