View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink 1 Bump leads to 2 then 3 then 4 then........

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNancy View Post

i don't want to lecture. after all, you're an adult. but it seems like you might want to evaluate any risky behaviors you're doing so you can minimize further injuries.
I don't mean to respond to you in particular, but you said it so well...

I have also had multiple concussions in the year following my fall from a horse. Including kicked with a volleyball while sitting 40 feet away reading a book. Knocking head with my brother in a pool because he was trying to catch a ball and didn't see me. Kicked in the head when I was dipped during a waltz by another girl being dipped. My chair slid out from under me and I hit my head on a stand up heater. Slipped on ice going to class twice.

One concussion makes all the little bumps that never bothered us before mean months or sometimes years of pain and suffering. The problem is those bumps can come when we are just doing normal everyday things like watch a sibling or child's soccer game, or walking in the snow and hitting a patch of ice.

The other problem is that the docs all say you will get better in 3-6 months and when that time goes by you start wondering how long it will last. Then after a little while you say "To heck with it, I don't care if I get a headache for three days, I just want to have some fun and go..." Then you hit your head and then it starts all over except worse this time and you see a doc again who still says the same thing. Then it happens again but you don't see the doc.

It is a terrible circle of events. I am going back to college in two weeks. I have had two weeks of almost no headaches because of the drugs my neurologist gave me. But I know that when I get back to school, the stress, the desire to do something fun, and the sleepless nights will make it harder to let the meds to their job and it will also make me more prone to another "bump".

Anyways, there is my little snippet for the day....sorry if I come across as grumpy, I am just having a bad PCS day (first day in two weeks with a splitting headache...Lortab here I come!).

Good Luck All!

Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote