View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just a few thoughts I had as I read your post.

First, my pain mgmt. dr. who is going to put my SCS's in next week said that if I required paddles (rather than leads) he would be sending me to a neurologist as it can be a tricky operation depending upon what's going on inside one, nerve-wise. Maybe she feels that your situation may be one that is above her expertise and that her saying she's done as many surgeries on you as she can is implying that.

Second, she may be suspecting that you have a separate problem with the legs going numb and wants you to get checked out to make sure, and get the help for it if it does indeed turn out to be the case. In addition to the back/neck problems for which I'm getting the SCS's, I also have other health issues. One is a connective tissue disease, and the only person that has been able to help me with that has been a neurosurgeon. Not saying he's "cured" me, but he did do some small, outpatient procedures on certain nerves that helped me get some relief that I don't think the SCS would have helped.

Third, and I say this hoping that I am very, very wrong...maybe you're like me and have many different health issues going on. I see an immunologist, a neurologist, a specialized ENT surgeon as well as my pain mgmt. dr. (who is an ortho.). So while her bedside manner may be lacking, she may be thinking that you have other issues that either complicate the ability of the SCS to work properly or you have other issues, period, that need to be addressed.

I pray for you that your visit to your new neurologist is very helpful, and that he/she turns out to be a compassionate person with a good bedside manner. Hugs
fionab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (08-17-2010), tchr012 (08-09-2010)