View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Emily ROse,

Yes, this site is in the US and things are done differently here.
The cost of $2000 is alot of money but it is in the ballpark of what a surgeon would charge here in the states to remove 2 wisdom teeth with sedation. If this is the dr who can handle your particular situation better or differently than someone else, then it behooves you to find a way to get to him. Because in the long run, you don't want to end up with problems from the surgery.

I know this is a financial burden for you and a long distance to travel to... perhaps you could speak to the dentist directly and/or ask the referring doctor to give him a call to discuss your financial situation? Whenever a patient calls me to discuss similar issues, I always do whatever I can to help them out and most offices that I know of will extend the same courtesy in certain situations. Don't be shy to give it a try.

Oral surgery is commonly done in the hospital. Perhaps you could call the oral surgeon's office and explain your situation to them and ask if he could do the surgery in the hospital rather than his office? Also tell them that you are in alot of pain because that alone makes your dental needs a top priority.

Please let us know how you are doing!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily_Rose View Post
A doctor in my hometown referred me to a dental surgeon who specializes in sedation and is aware of nerve related RSD/CRPS. I had two of my widsom teeth out when I was 16, but they told me that the other two were not ready to come out. I am now 20 with severe jaw pain because of these wisdom teeth and they need to come out. Although he is about 5 hours away this dental surgeon is the only one that can safely take out my wisdom teeth, so that the RSD does not spread to my face. I am covered for half of the cost but I still need to come up with $1000 in under a week. I am on disability and only get $600 a month. I realize the procedure costs money and the extra sedation as well but I can't help but wonder how much more this dentist is trying to make off me. Private care and for $2000 is alot of money to start with and knowing that I have RSD, I am unable to work and don't have a lot of money. This site is probably American but since I am in Canada anything emergency or hospital related is usually free of cost, and I found out that in addition this doctor does work with the hospital. Does anyone know what sort of dental surguries are done in a hospital? How I would go about asking? I have an RSD treatment this month on the 17th that will take me right through to my dental appointment on the 23rd. I don't know what makes up a dental emergency but I am in more tooth and jaw pain then I have ever been. I don't want to delay getting them out because it's costs me money to travel too. Any general ideas or information would be appreciated.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote