View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default TOS. Upcoming surgery. Terrified. And HI!

Hello, all.

I have been suffering from TOS (and possibly Pectoralis Minor Syndrome) for about 3 years now. I am all too familiar with the doctor shuffle, the frustration, the chronic pain, the mental stress, etc.
I have been out of work since January - when my doctor finally acknowledged that the 8+ hours per day sitting at a desk, using a computer, needed to stop. Worker's compensation has actually been mostly helpful. Although finding something new that works within the restrictions I've been given is proving near impossible.
Over the last few years, I have tried physical therapy (multiple times), acupuncture, massage, nerve pain medications (currently on Gabapentin)....
Nothing has caused any improvement in my symptoms.
I have finally been referred to surgery as my last resort.

On one hand, I am terrified of having the recommended surgery. On the other hand (the very cold, weak, numb one), I just want my old life back.

I am at the point where I would do anything not to continue suffering as I have over the last 3 years. But the thought of surgery terrifies me.

I would love to hear from others who have TOS, who got to the point of having surgery, what you decided and why, and how you are doing now. Or I just need to hear from others with TOS. Because nobody else really seems to understand just how devastating this condition can be to all aspects of one's life.

Thanks for listening.
-Melanie
brandnewkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (08-10-2010), Eric Remillard (09-08-2010)