View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

The first place I ended up with a rookie PT - still looking in his books to figure out stuff got out of there fast.

I did have a bad RSI in 99 & some shoulder injuries in 02 & 03 so had some experiences with PTs already- then when the final big injury came about {all the others accumulated IMO}
I did a ton of Google-ing & reading about all kinds of RSIs and that eventually led me to finding info about TOS.

Sharon Butler has a website with some good info but to really understand her theory about sticky fascia - you need to read her RSI book - it took me more than one reading to get it to soak in {in libraries} or get her TOS program { http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/

Her program is copyrighted so can't be posted online.

I see she added more things to her program since I got mine 6 yrs ago..and it costs more but there is a 60 day try it and a 20.00 off.

but getting the book from the library would be a good start and to see if it will work for you - in the book it covers all RSI problems so you would have to figure out which ones work for you or not while her TOS program is laid out for you step by step - I started with the book and then decide to go with the program.

Her main thing is to do very gentle stretches and totally listen to what your body is telling you - over doing is what got us here so we need to slow down and be aware.
you stretch until only the smallest tension is felt - you don't ever force a stretch only baby it along step by step and soon you notice the tension is going and then another small step forward.
Plenty of rest & recuperation time is important - relax, breath de stress
stress = tension
keep hydrated - clear fluids == flushes out the toxins

If you use the forum search for her name lots of older posts will come up.

Some of the PT type stretches they tend to rush you thru them and want you to push it .. there a more general - cookie cutter regimen

You should be fine on the MRI - mainly it's to verify no cervical ribs & large bony structures/anomalies and to be sure no disk /spinal problems that could be a cause.

I've only had one emg/ncv test and all showed fine test wise. But I still had pain in the back of my hands , forearms and up into the neck & upper back muscles.
So I'm not an expert on that part of it - just going by what I read from others over the years.

for more details & info you can search the forum for NCV or EMG.