View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi roxie,

To answer your question... yes, there is a slight risk of disturbing the surgical areas when taking the impression for the denture 3 days post op which are bleeding, pain, and loosening of the sutures. Ideally, the surgical areas should not be disturbed for several days or more depending on the degree of surgery that was done. The risk of developing a dry socket is not so much an issue as long as the surgical areas have already clotted completely.

As far as not trying in the wax impressions while the teeth are present.... that is his personal choice but as far as the fit and esthetics, it really does not make any difference on the outcome of the denture.

It is great that his services come so highly recommended!! I wouldn't worry so much about the impressions.... you will probably be ok and if for any reason he thought he should wait longer than the 3 days, then I'm sure he would.

Please keep us posted !
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie197 View Post
The dentist I am using will not make dentures ahead of time. He makes all of his patients wait a minimum of 3 days to have their impressions done. He likes to be able to try in the wax impressions with the teeth in them before making the denture and can't do this with teeth still in there. He will not make it ahead of time. I understand that this is different than most dentists and I am not concerned with waiting the 3 days, I was just worried about causing dry socket by making impressions so soon afterwards. He does make dentures all the time this way and I have checked his references and he is rated A+ with the BBB. Thanks for your help.
Roxie
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote