View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Interesting question...

I've smoked on and off since I developed the RSD (at 16). A night nurse actually got me started whilst I was in hospital!! At the time I couldn't sleep apart from in 10 minute snatches sitting in a chair as at the time the RSD was in just my right arm and leg and I couldn't bear them touching anything or even lay on a bed. The nurse got so frustrated with me not being able to sleep or relax she gave me a cigarette and then a morphine injection and for the first time I felt the pain lift a bit and got 2 hours sleep. Ever since it's been a psychological crutch where I believe that smoking reduces my pain or is at least a distraction.

I've given up smoking many times and then re-started (I very rarely smoke now as I need someone to hold a cigarette for me). When giving up it makes the pain alot worse but I think this is more psychological than physical. One thing I have found is that smoking can impact the way that medications work, especially drugs like Diazipam (Valium) which I take for muscle spasms. It is far less effective if I've smoked. On the other hand we found that smoking can improve my breathing when my chest is in spasm - though thinking about it might be because I have to really concentrate on my breathing to smoke. Smoking can also help me as a stimulant.

However, quite a few doctors have told me two things. Firstly that if I'm going to smoke they'd far prefer me to smoke marijuana and secondly that it impacts micro circulation and thus makes my circulation, which is already rubbish, worse. When I'm not smoking my legs don't go as black which gives some support to what the doctors have said.

One doctor said that smoking may make the pain worse as it reduces the amount of oxygen that can be carried to the nerves.

I am planning on completely quitting soon but it's tough as my mum, sister and Jimmy-Jo all smoke on and off.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question. I suppose that for me at least smoking can sometimes psychologically help me cope with the pain but in reality it may be making it worse.

Hope this helps in a small way.

Love and pain free hugs

Rosie xxx