View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclelops View Post
Xanax and Klonopin are not standard treatment for PN and I strongly advise any one considering taking this to realize that the discontinuation syndrome is absolutely HIDEOUS! I have been thru it, and it is awful, I would never have taken it, had I known the suffering that one must endure to get off of it....and, just like opiates, one must up the dose periodically to have the same effect.

Also Xanax has a 4 hour half life leaving one to experience withdrawal every 4 hours if not medicated....and klonopin has an 80 hour half life, so when going off of this drug, you don't even know what is in store for you until 80 hours into your wean. If you think neuropathy is hell, wait until a wean!

The other thing about klonopin is due to the 80 hour half life, depending on how it is dosed, blood levels can get very high.

Basically gaba, Lyrica, and maybe an opiate is the best they have right now....anticholinergics just make sicca much worse.

Yes, there comes a time when we have to accept what we are stuck with.....that is pretty much where I am at. I have some undiffereniated connective tissue garbage, with neuropathy.....or the other way around.
Inga - can't tell you how much I appreciate the "heads up" about Xanax and Klonopin. I've never taken anything from which I had to wean except neurontin. Although I wasn't supposed to do it, when my eyes wouldn't focus one day along with dizziness after five months of neurontin for post-herpetic neuropathy, just quit cold. Luckily, no after-effects, and the neuropathy was GONE.

echoes mentioned Wellbutrin and some kind of electrical treatments. Do any of them sound like a possibility for SFSN?

Barbara
(Sheltiemom)
Sheltiemom18 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote