View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 05:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Its a whole different..

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
Hmmm...my experience with PT was always that I ended PT at a level 9-10 on the pain scale...usually going in at a 7 or 8 (sometimes worse if I had just come from work). I started in pool therapy, which meant that the weight bearing was gradual and I had several weeks before I moved to using the bike and that was only 3 minutes to start with. It was weeks after that before I started using the treadmill and that started with only 4 minutes at a VERY slow pace.

But after every session I was given electronic stim. Initially they were giving me stim and ICE...very, very bad. After a couple of days I explained to the therapist that the ice made the pain worse so we switched to stim and heat instead. We did 15 minutes of stim and heat, and when I walked out the door I had a pain level of between 4 and 6. It only lasted for an hour or so (sometimes less) before the pain was back up to its normal level of 7 or 8. We also did an ultrasound at the beginning of every non-pool session and it seemed like that helped slightly...but I was never 100% convinced about that.

Essentially...I hated every second of PT but I honestly believe that I would not be where I am right now if I had not gone through it. But then again...the key for me was that the PT was gradual and while the therapist pushed...she never pushed too hard too fast. Even though I am not in PT anymore, I still continue to do ALL the PT exercises that I was given every day (minus the ones that require equiptment...those I do once a week at the park district fitness center). I am still in a lot of pain all the time (7-10)...but I am functioning and have gained a semblance of my life back. I don't think I would be where I am at now without the PT and pushing through the worst pain flares to reach the ultimate goal.

But everyone is different and I think they need to decide what is best for them. That's just my experience with PT.
PT program we are talking about... My reference is to the aggressive PT vs regular PT for everyday progress... The aggressive program is by far an intense, high demand program which last 3-4 hrs. a day and usually can only last for 14 days..not one day longer... Physcians use it with an RSD protocol in mind as resortation of movement, push and pull service by manual bullys... I can't walk well enough to walk a tread mill or use a bike.. they use both water but mostly land. Apples and oranges in the land of PT.... I tell ya... I, too have been other PT programs for other reasons prior to my RSD and I can tell you.. they not even comparible..

Sorry Catra121 for the confusion...

Have a good night....

Kathy
keep smilin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote