View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have Celiac and can only confirm that you need to test, test and ask questions over and over again. Most Drs are light years behind the current stats. 1 in 133 is NOT rare. And symptoms can vary a lot... http://www.celiac.com/

Quote:
Celiac disease, which is a severe intolerance to gluten (the major storage protein in wheat and similar proteins in barley and rye resulting in intestinal damage) is estimated to affect 1 in 133 people in the U.S. and approximately 1/100 worldwide. Most of these people are undiagnosed. Many are being treated for reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, gas-bloat dyspepsia, lactose intolerance, or just suffering ill health unaware that a gluten free diet (GFD) might relieve their symptoms if not improve them significantly.

Dyspepsia is a medical term for stomach upset, indigestion or gas-bloat abdominal discomfort. This commonly occurs in celiac disease. Stomach contractions have been shown to be impaired in celiac disease contributing to the bloating sensation. This is confirmed by diagnostic studies revealing poor stomach emptying. Delayed stomach emptying is frequently accompanied by low pressures in the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) of the esophagus or swallowing tube. The LES is supposed to be a barrier to regurgitation of stomach contents up into the esophagus. When stomach juice that is acidic refluxes into the esophagus a burning pain is typically felt in the chest that is described by most people as heartburn.

When acid frequently regurgitates up into the esophagus a burn of the lining occurs that is termed esophagitis or reflux esophagitis and defines gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Celiac disease patients have been shown to have a high prevalence of GERD and reflux esophagitis. Treatment with a gluten free diet has been shown to decrease the rate of relapse of GERD symptoms. In clinical practice, many of us have observed that a gluten free diet results in marked improvement of heartburn symptoms in not just celiac disease but in many people.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Heartburn-...flux&id=315638

Even if all tests are negative then a trial of the GF diet may be diagnostic. Has she had genetic tests for Celiac ?

Another idea is to research the FODMAP diet. It may be an intolerance to fructose or fructans or sorbitols etc ..causing the problems. I have Celiac + FODMAP. I am having a bad stage at the moment as something I have eaten last week has upset me. My stomach is slow to empty ( I am an undx possible MG) and I have low stomach acid ( thanks annie for the reminder re the tablets - will do - had forgotten . I also have low B12 and possible gastric atrophy).

I had been sort of OK but now since this 'trigger' ( maybe trace gluten sold to me as "GF" ) I am quite ill. Lots of GERD, stomach pain, poor digestion, 'IBS" etc My throat feels like it is being burnt away. All for a few crumbs of gluten 'dust'. ( the factory also made other biscuits )

Dr Sue Shepherd is the leading expert in FODMAP and there are articles online. Some are out of date as new research is coming in all the time. There is quite a good yahoo list for keeping up to date. In some cases the intolerance can be eaten in small amounts or combined with glucose.

I have found this topic quite interesting. I was not aware that MG related to stomach problems and bowel problems like this. It all makes sense now.

Last edited by xanadu; 08-15-2010 at 12:18 AM.
xanadu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote