View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Tim,

I forgot to finish my prior post. Has your wife sought help from any Physical Therapists? Not just any PT but a PT with highly developed skills with myo-facial release. I had similar dystonias. My gut was paralyzed and in spasm. My neck and shoulder muscles were stuck.

My PT just looked at me and could see my problem before she even touched me. It took six months of therapy to get long term improvement. I got immediate relief but the spasms would return until there was enough non-spasm time for my body to heal.

Medications can complicate Post Concussion. It depends on the medication. Muscle relaxers and other pain and sedation meds can confuse her brain as she tries to get her mental bearings back.

Each concussion symptom needs to be treated separately. There is no shotgun treatment for PCS. I have been living with PCS in varying stages for over 40 years.

Some medications prescribed for PCS can cause postural rigidity. Paxil and other SSRI's can do it with intensity. The neck issues only make it worse.

She sounds like she suffered a whiplash type of concussion. The combination can be brutal. Be nice to her.

I have mentioned before that Post Concussion Syndrome is like an iceberg. Those on the outside only see the 10% of the symptoms visible above the surface. The concussion sufferer also experiences the 90% below the surface.

You frustrations are nothing compared to her internal frustrations. Be nice even when you don't feel like it.

The Survival Guide is a must read for you both.

Tim, Has your wife applied for Social Security Disability? She needs to right away. It takes quite some time to get approved but the back pay is limited to twelve months before the date of application. She has already lost 10 months of back pay. If she gets better and returns to work, they will discontinue the SSDI. Until then, get the application process started.

My best to you both.

I will not be watching this board for a few days. My mother is hospitalized and I need to be away from my computer.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (08-16-2010)