View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This book has the most graphically disturbing portrait of a disabled person I have read, it is not sympathetic either.

I truly believe if it had been Altzheimers that someone like Terry Pratchett, who is very liberal minded and has AD (Sorry Greg, did not mean to confuse, just save the problem of misspelling about 5 times a word I once knew how to spell) would have come out criticized the portrayal.

When I bought this book last year I did so in all innocence! It disappeared out of the 3 for 2 offers in my local bookshop for a while but last week was back again, costing less (£4), and synchronized with the article by Time magazine, and another in the Guardian, clearly to hike sales in the wake of the author's newer book.

Sometimes the blurb talks about the 'well-loved', or 'much loved' novel, and it's author is described in rich terms too........... I hate to think of this book as holiday reading for the masses, and another layer of prejudice and stereotyping being put into place for PD.

I am an avid reader, and rarely find things that I cannot stomach, but this one seems close to breaking the disability discrimination laws herein the UK, even though they were not even remotely designed for the purpose of controlling novel writers.

If this person has displaced a personal experience of AD onto PD, then he shows no sympathy whatsoever for the individual, and in the final passages leaves him to the mercy of a very disaffected, almost vindictive carer........

As Pam says it is very hard to let go of the visual images, if it is hard for us, how deep will they go into other peoples minds and set back the much broader picture of Parkinson's that people have been working to bring to the attention of the public.
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote