View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
This book has the most graphically disturbing portrait of a disabled person I have read, it is not sympathetic either.
As Pam says it is very hard to let go of the visual images, if it is hard for us, how deep will they go into other peoples minds and set back the much broader picture of Parkinson's that people have been working to bring to the attention of the public.
I think one effect PD has on me is that I cannot stomach scenes of ugliness and inhumanity and neglect and cruelty; and I hunger and thirst to see beauty and kindness. I will turn off a movie or throw out a book if it starts to show me how rotten life and people can be. I don't need to know that. I have seen that already. I am quite capable of conjuring up my own demons and depressions without assistance from the movie-making or book publishing empires.
In theater they talk about "the suspension of disbelief". I am not sure what that means; but before PD or maybe it is before old age, I could watch blood and gore and slaughter and misery on the screen and it was all fantasyland. Now, it's all too real, and I have seen enough of it. I need to see stuff or read stuff that helps keep that old spirit feeling that life is worthwhile. I do not like ugly and nasty; I like Beauty in all its endless forms; and I like to be carried upward; not buried in helplessness and despair. I don't think that is hard to understand, but the art critics and journalists and trend-setters of our day generally promote anything that corresponds with their own lack of faith in mankind. If it bleeds, it leads.
It is easy to write about hate and fear; it is very hard to write about love.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (08-16-2010), RLSmi (08-16-2010)