View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinM View Post
Hi, it looks like I will have to get surgery on my left arm. Here is my quandary...

...decompression I can deal with, but I have heard some nasty tales about 'relocation' of the nerve. Personally I would like it left where it is (i.e. it is there for a reason) plus I have heard some consultants tell me that it is a dangerous procedure that could screw up your arm permanently.

Does anyone know about this more to make a comment... I am not shy enough to not pull the surgeon before hand and say NO!

Am I over-reacting? It is just that I am in the UK and I feel that our medical procedures are still in the stone ages!
You are definintly not over reacting. A Ulnar Nerve Transposition is not a easy surgery or recovery. I had this type of surgery in 2005 and yet it improved one problem in caused another.I also have RSD but I was DX prior to the ulnar nerve surgery. So my situation is a little different. My nerve had to be moved because it was tangled in hardware that I had in my elbow. I also had other procedures done at the same time my arm was a mess. But on the good side after much time has passed I did go from absolutely zero functioning in my arm to I would say I have 85 percent functioning and if you did not know I had many surgeries to correct this arm you could not tell. The only advice I can give you is that make sure your surgeon is extremely experienced in this type of nerve surgery, ask him how many time has he performed this type of surgery. When I was searching for a doctor to help me when I first had my accident many doctors I saw would say " you have to see such, and such he is the only one that can fix this problem". To be honest it scared me what doctor doesn't want to take on a problem that has many surgeries ahead which is many dollars to them. So, I knew it was a serious procedure. When I finally got to this doctor in NYC. I finally felt like thank god someone who will help me. He explained how serious doing this procedure was and the what would have to be done after and how the RSD would have to be under control before hand. So I just did exactly what he said each time we walked down that cold hallway to the OR and if it was not for the RSD I would of had a 100 percent recovery from a serious inquiry.When I stated that it caused another problem I still have pain in the area where the nerve was moved from and where the incision is but it's a type of up and down thing some days are better then others and it is definitly affected by the weather especially humidity, it's the worse. I hope I answered your questions.I wish you all the luck is the world and PM me if you have any other questions.

Gabbcakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RobinM (08-16-2010)