View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Talking

I guess working on science from a non-scientist head all day can make one yearn for flights of fantasy and picturing a group of "mature" , well not all of them but some, pole dancing was just the righ amount of silliness needed for my silliness starved brain. i would love to take that road trip tho. these things sometimes work out in mysterious ways so please don't dismiss it! Rose I'll pm you if this takes any shape. It wouldn't be the first time people traveled for a cause - you understand that dreams do lead to action!

lindy, this article says the opposite of what i have thought about acetycholine so here's the way i see it and someone please correct me if in error.

They are saying we have "cholinergic dysfunction" and "acetylcholine deficits." early on in the disease. They also say : " the disorder does not become worse over time in PD patients without dementia, as it does in Alzheimer disease (AD)."

They are saying that acetylcholine deficits are evident in diagnosed pd patients who have yet to be treated and this could be a biomarker. Does that mean they are low in acetylchoinesterase or in the actual acetylcholine? Does being low in acetylcholinesterase mean there's not enough acetylcholine to degrade, which is its job?

Alzheimers meds block this degrading so more acetylcholine becomes available but success is limited and temporary.

I think the terminology is switched back and forth and find it confusing when i read terms like "cholinergic dysfunction."

i can understand why you wouldn't want to take an anti-cholinergic drug to lower your acetylcholine if you have acetylcholine shortage. But I also know that a drug that raised my acetylcholine caused a serious adverse event and one that is anticholinergic is reducing my dystonia, or muscle cramping.

Regardless of whichever is deficient /dysfunctional, it sure sounds like an extremely useful biomarker.

I better go start exercising, need to build up strength for , you know, dancing...lol

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 08-16-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: left out things; wasn't finished
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bob Dawson (08-16-2010), lindylanka (08-16-2010), violet green (08-16-2010)