Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinM View Post
Hi, it looks like I will have to get surgery on my left arm. Here is my quandary...

...decompression I can deal with, but I have heard some nasty tales about 'relocation' of the nerve. Personally I would like it left where it is (i.e. it is there for a reason) plus I have heard some consultants tell me that it is a dangerous procedure that could screw up your arm permanently.

Does anyone know about this more to make a comment... I am not shy enough to not pull the surgeon before hand and say NO!

Am I over-reacting? It is just that I am in the UK and I feel that our medical procedures are still in the stone ages!

Hi Robin,
I'm wondering what cased this , your job? a specific acute injury?

Some with thoracic outlet syndrome {TOS} get a clawing and wasting of the hand.
Sometimes there is a definite compression or impingement at the elbow or wrist as well as up at the upper junction {neck/shoulder/collarbone etc} - that can be a case of double crush or even triple crush if all 3 areas are involved.

I just want to mention this because some w/TOS in the past had the ulnar surgery and it did not address the proper cause of the symptoms.
Their symptoms were not really coming from the elbow they were referred pain from higher up.
Do you also have neck, shoulder or upper back pain & tightness?

If you want to read more about TOS here is our forum link -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum24.html
"Thanks for this!" says:
RobinM (08-16-2010)