View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default nerve blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclelops View Post
My last suggestion is a nerve block of some kind, but, I assume they would have to redo it periodically?

Or, what do they do for surgery? Can they do some kind of block like that?

My thought on stimulators is they do just that, stimulate and you already have too much stim goin on.

Gosh, I feel so badly for you. I am so sorry you have to go thru this.....

I have scheduled my surgery, and am pretty scared about it....but, no choice, I guess.
When they did the last surgery since she was doing 3 different procedures all at the same time carpal tunnel, redoing the thumb base joint by removing the silicone joint and using my tendon to make a joint, and last but not lease trying to repair the transected radial nerve just above the wrist area for the second time. Since the first time did not take because of a 4cm gap between the nerve ends and the NeuraGen tube used only allowed the one end of the nerve the live end to grow a rather large neuroma at the tube end. All this activity in this area of my hand/forearm made the radial nerve very sensitive beside having work done to the nerve itself so this is why I needed the blocks before the surgery.

One hour before the surgery they came in and did a nerve block in my arm pit which made my whole arm dead which was for the 3 main nerves in my arm this lasted for 3 days after the surgery very strange feeling.

Several months after the surgery my PM Dr. gave me some blocks through the front of my neck. These blocks did not work so we stop doing them. All I got from them was a very sore throat. The block never heated by up to 5 degrees in my hand wrist area where the nerve was repaired like it is supposed to according to the Dr.

It has been almost 2 years that my nerve was first repaired and now 8 months since the last surgery and the top of my hand burns, numbing, tingling pain all the way up to my elbow. The upper part of my arm is always in pain no matter how many pain meds I take. Each week that passes it seem to be getting worst. I have my next appt with my PM Dr. next Tuesday I am going to ask him for a block like what I had before my surgery to kill the arm from my shoulder to my hand. I know I will have to wear a sling all the time but at least the pain should be gone. Another Dr. that I saw for a second opinion on a SCS felt this would be better than the SCS. The more anyone messes with my hand/wrist the worst the pain gets afterwards.

Sorry for the long answer.
hurting is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote