View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
I stand to be corrected... thank you. I am sorry that you are having such difficulty with medical bills. It certainly does not help to have that stress when you are not feeling well. Perhaps the medical entities might reduce the bill if they know your situation?

Hope you feel better soon.

Mere
Sorry, I just reread my message and it sounded a bit harsh. Wasn't meaning to sound that way at all--just in a lot of pain today and it came out in my post.

Some places may very well take $1 a month--so I don't doubt that you are correct in some cases. But the clinic here in town would not accept that. I suppose it depends on the specific place.

As each call comes in, I explain the situation. We had a lawyer write letters to each of the places in July. My mom was paying on all my bills--she has been since I was little and just never stopped. The lawyer said that now that I am over 18, she has no obligation to pay. He also said that if I am not working, they can't really come after me (well, they can--but they can't take my pay since I don't have any). He sent letters to each medical place, basically saying: You've gotten 80% of your payment from our insurance. Sarah can't work due to her medical problems. Will you just write off the rest and call it even? Well, nobody has. Somehow the lawyer says not to worry about the collection agencies and whatnot--but I'm terrified. Not only about my credit, but I'm afraid that they will come haul me off to jail for not paying. I have no idea if that's even possible--but it is really stressing me out.

But I'm hoping that some places will either write it off at the 80% from insurance, wait for payments until I can work, or allow part of the bill to be written off. I guess only time will tell. I hope you are having a good day!

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sheltiemom (08-27-2010)