View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Mike,

I can only answer based on my experience. There are others who will probably respond that are much more knowledgable. PCS is not something you work through, push or stretch yourself to aid recovery. It is the opposite. You need to rest and do less than you think you can so you don't overextend and relapse. The fatigue is your brain telling you it needs rest.

It is very difficult, but by giving your brain the rest and quiet it needs your recovery will progress better. I've learned this through trial and error. If something is exacerbating your symptoms stop and try again later. Don't expect too much of yourself, you'll just get stressed and frustrated which also slow your recovery. Caffeine or other stimulants strain your brain and will slow your recovery.

You don't have the same capacity you had pre-injury while you're recovering. The sooner you accept that, the better things will be. I'm not saying you'll never get better, the recovery rate is different for everyone, but most people get better eventually. It's taken me almost a year and I'm probably about 80% of my pre-injury capacity.

There some good books around that are helpful, Brainlash is one. There are quite a few posts on good nutrition and supplements to aid your recovery. Many, myself included, have been helped by upper cervical chiropractic. Others have found other therapies that were helpful. I've had to go to several different providers (good neurologist, good neuro-otologist, physical therapy, chiropractor) for different symptoms to get help. Time is a great healer, patience is critical. (but hard to come by...)

My husband has been wonderful in helping and supporting me but I know he's been overwhelmed and frustrated at times as he tries to do and be everything, but he's held steady. We have three children (4, 7, 11 at the time of the accident), it's been an opportunity for them to learn to be more self sufficient and patient and helpful with a disability. Not that they've enjoyed the process! ;-) I'm not trying to downplay the fact that this has been extremely difficult for all of us, just that there is some good that can come out of it.

Be patient with your wife, as Mark mentioned somewhere else, she not only feels terrible physically, but also feels the guilt, anguish and frustration of not being able to be the person she wants to be for her family. It is very difficult to cope with it all. Having your brain not work right is different than a sprained ankle, it effects the core of who you are, how you think of yourself. Your love, patience and care for your wife and children right now are the essence of true love. You can come out of this stronger as a couple and family if you handle it well.

Best wishes,

Becca
BeccaP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (08-20-2010)