View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Paula,
I am taking the liberty of answering your questions to the extent I understand. Caldeerster, please do answer and hope you don't mind me giving my two cents worth.

HLA genes make proteins involved in basic immune functions and each individual has his/her own set of genes. HLA is what makes you uniquely YOU, practically every cell in your body expresses this HLA protein. In some ways it is your biological equivalent of social security number, 20 digit social security number arranged in a rubic cube format is the simplest way to explain its complexicity. Some forms of HLA gene compositions result in immune system that helps to fight infections better, some fail to control inflammations and from this study it seems PD is associated with certain forms of HLA.
HTML Code:
d about the immune system but don't know anything about genes. Are there gene networks where if one gene malfunctions an entire network can be affected?

And where does the initial insult come from? Our parents? Or can they be damaged by pesticides and malfunction at any time? I associate genetic with hereditary. Is th
Paula, to answer your questions directly:
Yes there are numerous gene expression net works of immune system which are highly interdependent on one another, no different than any other system. So mal functioning gene can trigger a cascade of reactions and as for triggers, there are many to name, for eg., viral infections, bacterial infections, stress, nutritional deficiencies etc., (Rick's fav ones!)This paper confirms the concept/idea that has been hypothesized for years. I must say, this is not going to explain or cure PD by itself, but more like adding a big piece to the PD puzzle.

Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (08-17-2010), Evonne (08-17-2010), lindylanka (08-17-2010), paula_w (08-17-2010), rose of his heart (08-19-2010)