View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Girija,

I have a couple of questions and you seem to be well eqipped at answering these science questions, if you don't mind. I developed autoimmune type 1 diabetes at the age of 27. That was determined by an ANTI GAD antibody test that they ran on me to determine whether I was type 1 or 2. In my case, they weren't sure at first. I was initially put on two different oral medications for diabetes. The meds worked for a short time and then just stopped working. My doctor suspected that I was a type 1 and the ANTI GAD test proved it. I am the third person in two generations of my family that have developed diabetes this way. My Aunt was diagnosed at 27 and her daughter was diagnosed at 3 years old. From what I have read, it is pretty rare for type 1 diabetes to run in families. Type 2 is much more common in families. My Aunt died in her late 30's and her diabetic daughter died at the age of 27. I find myself wondering if they had lived longer lives if they might have been more succeptible to PD because of the autoimmune component related to their diabetes. What do you think about that?

I began having physical symptoms of PD at the age of 31, but I experienced non motor symptoms earlier than that. There is no history of PD in my family, although my Mom is having some strange issues with the toes of her right foot moving up and down on their own. I want her to see my Neurologist. Do you think that learning about the HLA in PD will make it easier to come up with some sort of blood test for PD that is similar to the ANTI GAD test?

This article just has my wheels spinning, so to speak. I have always wondered if my immune system played a role in me developing PD. I haven't been the same person since I developed the diabetes seven years ago. My body just feels off. Strange.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any answers you might have, even if it's just and educated guess.

Sincerely,

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote