View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
You're exactly right, but ya know what? She doesn't want to stop for ALL TIME. She plainly said so. She said "she just doesn't want to pass out every night." She still wants to drink. So there isn't a darned thing you can do about it. She hasn't hit her bottom yet. Unfortunately, some peoples' bottoms are very deep.

And you were correct about what you could have said to her regarding her son. Of course she's enabling him. But misery loves company too. She might just have him as a drinking buddy at times. Who knows? She would HATE it if he quit and she didn't.

When she loses everything, gets arrested, loses her home, husband, money, etc., then she just might want to quit drinking ~ IF she lives that long. I don't want to tell you how many members of AA I've seen go back out, and then hear that they died. Lets hope shes not one of them.

Thanks for all your help in trying to get her to SEE. God bless. Hugs, Lee

Hi Leesa:

Thanks for the warm words. Here's an update. So far, she is staying sober. SO FAR!!! She says "I asked myself a question last night. I wanted to go out, go into my car, and go to the liquor store (like she usually did), and buy some wine". Then she said "Why do I want to do this?, do I NEED to do this?" And she said to herself "Drink your seltzer". And she claims this is what she did.

I happen to believe her, because I speak to her every day, and she's been blasted every time in the past BUT NOT FOR THE PAST 8 days or so.

Will this continue? I have no clue. But I did warn her a few days ago. "Your husband might try and sabotage you and yell at you (they don't have a good marriage). I covered all the bases because I know that it could take ANY trigger that could set her off.

Sure enough, last nigh, they had a fight and he turned to her and said: "Why don't you go upstairs and have a drink?" I replied "Remember??? we talked about this, he's still mad at your for all the time you DRANK. Do you expect him to thing it's ALL DONE??"

She said "I know, I HAVE TO KEEP DOING THIS FOR ME"

I actually of course have no idea if she's done with the booze. I told her 'you can tell me you've quit, and then go and sneak but the only one you're hurting is yourself, and she said "I know".

I'm amazed that after years of passing out at night, one can just get the courage, guts and fortitude to just "give it up"

This is possible???

I always thought that when one has a drinking problem, and one drinks EVERY night until they pass out, and even drinks during the day, that one CAN'T quit by themselves alone, that they have to go into de-tox, and follow a program. At least this has been my assumption.

Anyway, I do thank you for your help.

Take care,

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY