View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Dude, you're going to lose interest in this project super fast when you realize what a pain and physical job it is. I started my own personal albums last year and by the time I got all the buggers out of the albums I'd had enough.

Do your parents expect you to put them all back into the albums?

My parents were wildly Kodak crazy and left about 18,000 prints behind. (Remember, 6 kids, 6 birthdays, Christmases, recitals, concerts, plays, halloween...) plus road trips and so on. After getting about 10% of my own done, I realized that our parents' photos will never get done unless we send them out.

We found a company that uses an auto-feeder and a high-speed scanner. We have a whole linen closet filled with photo storage boxes and they said they can turn them around in one week. They will also burn them to a master set of DVDs as well as upload them to a photo storage site so we can each archive them to our preferred media/method.

My sister and I did their wedding album together, she pulled and wiped while I scanned and labeled files, then she put them back into their places. It was only about 60 pics and it took us 3 hours. The scanner bed had to be cleaned about every 15th photo or so.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (08-18-2010), Jomar (08-17-2010)