View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I must say, when I have time, I do try to tell people what it actually is in non-medical terms.

When I don't have time, or when I'm trying to explain to a child, I say that the nerves in my leg think that I'm hurt all the time, so they make my body do what it would do if I really was hurt all the time, even though I didn't get hurt. Unfortunately, this means that I'm in pain all the time like I would be if I was hurt, and sometimes, other bad things happen (which would be good if I was hurt, but are bad since I'm not. This bit only works with children 10 and up, usually ).

I don't mean to sound condescending - I've had RSDS/CRPS since I was 14, and I know that there are children who are even younger with CRPS who can understand it, but it's hard to tell a child who's never experienced chronic pain what it is like, and I don't really want to make a child understand, but I don't want them to feel like I'm being patronizing, either......does that make any sense? I've realized that being sick (I posted in the Lyme Disease forum today because my doctor thinks I have Lyme disease) is making me loopy.
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Azaila (05-02-2010)