View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
You aren't being harsh. I think you are on a good track having a lawyer involved.

Have you started filing for SS disability? I never thought I would feel so bad to have to get it but I did and I used a lawyer. Most disability lawyers collect a percentage of back pay for their services only and when you are awarded benefits. It helps a lot. I never wanted it as I have worked hard all of my life. I worked my way into a position as a VP of operations and stayed with my company for 25 years. My employer was understanding but I was loosing more and more time due to illness. I quietly retired and then applied for disability. It is one of the most disappointing things I have had to do in my life...but completely necessary.

I hope you feel better soon. Please try not to worry. I know that is easy for me to say, but it will only make you feel worse...

Mere
Thank you.

I have applied--but without a lawyer first. They said to be prepared to not have a decision for 2-4 years, and to be declined. Said almost everyone gets declined the first time. But if I do, we already have a lawyer ready to appeal with us. Hoping that is how he works with the money situation, because I certainly don't have any money to give him. I would have to make sure--otherwise we'd have to appeal on our own, which would probably get me denied again. (We=my mom and I) So I am still waiting to hear on a decision. I just graduated in May after 6 long years of college. I've only had neuropathy since December (that's when the pain started, anyway). I have, though, had 4 things wrong with my back since I was born (pain started when I was 8). I worked very hard to get through college with all the chronic pain I had, and now that I finally graduated in May, I can't use my degree. I hope that even if I do get disability, that I won't be on it forever. I want to use my degree and work... but at the same time, I'm not too proud to not accept financial help because I certainly do need it!

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote