View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beloved wife View Post
Good day!
I have just joined this group looking for some support so that I am able to continue to support my husband. He suffered several strokes in Jan. 2010 and is suffering terribly with atypical trigeminal neuralgia.
His pain is so intense and I am watching the life get sucked right out of him. He is 48 and is way too young to lie down in defeat.
Has anyone found anything that works for this pain? He has already taken Tegratol and a slew of other medications for this to no avail. He is currently taking Vicoden and Tramadol for the pain with little or no relief.
Blessings to all:
Val
Dear Val,
I am so sorry that your husband (and in turn, you) are suffering with ATN. I'm not sure what advice I can give you - I too take a slew of medications, but only get a modicum of relief. It is better than it used to be, though - I can tell you that much - I am about 3 years into this disease, and the combo that I am using now works better than whe I first started. I would encourage him not to give up on anti-seizure meds and anti-depressants - these both are neccessary to me, alongside the opiates. I take trileptal and neurontin (anti seiz.), as well as nortriptyline (antidepr.). I take a long-acting opiate, methadone, as well as dilaudid, for break-through pain. These manage to keep it at bay longer into the day. I will gladly take some relief over none. I have no "happy ending" - I've stopped working and have applied for disability, so my life has changed dramatically, but I am mostly at peace with it at this point, having no other option.
I'm not certain that my post is of any help, this is just my story, so I hope others may come along and be a bit more help.
Best of luck ,and I hope that you will find some good info at this forum.
Lily
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote