View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Trouble with Questions?

Hello, 5 months have officially passed since my accident. Some things have gotten better: the brain fog is MUCH less, I can actually drive now and focus more and function better out in the world.

Some things have stayed the same: Ringing in my ears, not as aware of time, fatigue, overwhelm when overstimulated, major issues sleeping and more.

Today I finally figured out that I have trouble answering questions. In fact it may even freak me out, especially when there is more than one question. I get agitated and if the questions keep coming, I get distressed.

Something must have healed and moved out of the way for me to finally put this together...but I realize in my job as a massage therapist, I do all of the question asking: Where are you sore, Is this pressure too much/little, when would you like to book your next appointment, etc...

HOWEVER, when I get asked questions, I am noticing the slowness that takes over first. Well, gee...let me think about that....and then off to lala land I go.

This week I noticed it when I was asked by my chiropractor's assistant when I would like to book my next appointment...it was so hard to actually decide my own schedule.

I think she was flustered, than later I realized it was me that was flustered! I told her I had trouble from my head injury and that I was sorry for being so confusing. (it still feels like I'm giving some lame excuse for my behavior, except it is true!)

Tonite, I asked my boyfriend to hand me a pan to cook with (I pointed to the one I wanted) and he asked if I really wanted another one instead...it pushed me too far and I agitatedly said to give me a pan, any pan at this point!

I had a therapy appt where I told the therapist (newer to me) we needed to slow down the way were going about things due to my "brain relapse" and she started asking me a zillion questions about some of the issues on my plate (past issues, not related to my head injury).

After several minutes I noticed how upset I was getting and started crying...normal in therapy when you talk about things you don't normally want to face, except I know the difference in feelings from experiencing therapy in the past.

This time, it was from overwhelm and I felt assaulted, even though she meant well and was really trying to help me. I have temporarily halted our sessions because she cannot hold back from her methods to accomodate me (I had asked her too and she obviously didn't do that)

I am not in any way saying she is a bad therapist, because the things she said ended up being really helpful...now that I've had time to process them in a slower manner. She is just the wrong therapist for me right now if she has a hard time holding back her advice and questions. She would have been a perfect match for me PRE-accident.

The other thing too is that I think she does not believe the effects of my head injury because she doesn't understand PCS. I've got to take MarkInIdaho's advice and pring the TBI guide to hand out. It really may help.

Anyway, I am starting to see that this is an issue and I was wondering if anyone else experiences this and how they handle it? What can I do about it and will it ever get better? (here I go asking many questions to people that may actually have trouble like me!)

Thanks!
eponagirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nervous (08-20-2010)