View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Bone scan questions

Hello everyone

I have some questions about bone scans, and am wondering if someone can help me out. I am waiting to hear back from the doctor/nurse, but in the meantime, thought I'd check here.

I have peripheral neuropathy, but the pain management doctor I saw yesterday wants me to have a bone scan to check for RSD/CRPS. I don't think I have it, yet I have a lot of the symptoms. However, it has never spread like everyone here talks about happening. The blood vessels in my legs and feet don't correctly pump the blood back up once it gets down into those places, so I experience pooling down in my legs and they turn so dark purple that they are nearly black. I saw a vascular doctor (thinking it was a circulation problem) and he said that it was not, but just due to the neuropathy. He said to talk to my neurologist and see what could be done.

Lo and behold, my neurologist said that there is nothing he could do for the pooling and that it was just a normal part of a severe case of neuropathy. So I have now been bedridden for 4 months (since May) because anytime my feet are not elevated, the blood pools and causes intense pressure and pain.

My new pain management doctor said that he wants to do a bone scan to see if we can rule out RSD/CRPS. Either way, the treatments will be the same. I am most likely going to try a spinal cord stimulator.

My questions about the bone scan are this: What is the position that you are in when you have the scan done? He said that they administer an IV with a dye or something in it and then check for blood clots and pooling at specific intervals, up to 5 hours.

Well, when I lay flat, I don't experience any pooling at all. So if this is all done while laying flat in one position, I already know that the scan will not show the pooling, and there is no point in doing it. However, if it is done while sitting or standing, that is also a problem because between the pooling and the neuropathy, I cannot sit or stand with my legs down for 5 hours.

Can anyone explain to me how the bone scan was done if you have had this procedure done? As I said, I have a call in to the nurse or doctor... but I am getting curious and thought I'd see if anyone here can answer my questions.

Thanks, and hope everyone is having a good day.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote