View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Unfortunately, this is a common effect of TBI. Our brains simply haven't gotten used to taking new paths to process information. It's more slow. Noticeably slower for us. It can be very frustrating ~ particularly when we're kind of high in self-expectations.

The brain does get better and faster as time passes, but it just seems to take forever when we focus on the difficulties. I'd recommend reminding yourself gently to let it go. It is okay. Use a different word. Ask for help in retrieving the word. Give yourself a moment to let the word come to mind. Let it go.

Personally, the first letter or the word I'm looking for quickly pops into my head. I'll tell the person or people the kind of word that I'm thinking of, and give them the clue that it starts with a "C". For example: I am looking to buy a pair of ____. It starts with an "S". You wear them on your feet...They have strings to tie them... Right about then, I can usually recall the word or someone will guess "shoes". A lot of times they guess right, and it's a relief. Other times, they don't guess right, but I can think of another clue to help. A few times, I've just had to give up entirely. I hate doing that. But, being so stuck on finding a particular word ruins the whole conversation, as I then can't recall anything we were talking about!

Been there many times, as you can see. It does get easier as time passes, and you become more accepting of the recall difficulty.

Very best wishes to you!
Shez ~ TBI 3/07
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote