Thread: New Concussion
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yanky,

The recovery of smell functions are hard to predict. The more important functions to be concerned about are your cognitive/memory functions. I would give up all smell functions to get my cognitive skills back.

I doubt you have any serious swelling at this point. It would be dangerous for the hospital to release you if you still had swelling. Swelling can cause severe brain stem damage and lead to death.

The injury you suffered is called a coupe-contra-coupe concussaion. The brain bounced from the back of your skull to the front of your skull getting traumatized at both ends of the movement.

From now on, you need to avoid any activites that may put you at risk of a head impact. No contact sports, especially competitive soccer. No heading a soccer ball ever. Wear a quality, well fitted helmet for any bike riding, skiing, snowboarding, etc.

It would be interesting to see your hospital records. What symptoms did you manifest for those three days? Slurred speach, memory difficulties, absence seizures (getting spaced out and lost) can all be indicative of what kind of injury yoiur brain suffered. You will likely have some residual difficulties in these areas for the rest of your life, especially during times of serious stress, either physical or emotional.

Don't be scared. Just be cautious.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote