View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Melody,

You are welcome =)

Just so you know....... most people do not sit "calmly" in the dental chair for any procedure. Some are more anxious and figedy than others... but fear of being in the dental chair is a very real and common thing. It is so important for the dentist and his staff to be understanding and sensitive to the needs of their patients. I encourage patients to speak up irrelevant of how unimportant they think their fears are because sometimes just the simplest effort on our part can make the dental visit a whole lot better!!!

About the diet issues..... all forms of refined sugar (baked goodies) and all sticky foods (like raisins) or foods that get stuck in between the teeth (chips) will cause cavities if they are left on the teeth. All acidic foods will cause a breakdown of the tooth enamel and predispose the teeth to decay.
That's why it is imperative to brush and floss thoroughly to remove all of those nasty little critters.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Thanks Bryanna for ALL the great info.

Know what fascinates me? That people can actually sit in that dental chair, get all numbed up and calmly sit there while a dentist takes out all their teeth, goes into the bone, blah blah.

I can't even get my head wrapped around this.

My heart starts to beat because normally, I'm phobic and I'm lucky that recently I went to my dentist who, thankfully assured me, I'm perfectly fine, told me that indeed, my problem was a TMJ flare-up (I've been fine eve since), and that my dental x-rays showed no problems.

Maybe it's because there is no sugar in my diet, no chips, (which I've been told are REALLY bad for the teeth), and I thankfull, do not eat raisins.

I once had a dentist tell me "the one food I tell my patients to keep away from are RAISINS. They are like Dental Napalm"

I will never forget that conversation.

Melody
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote