View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=Fiona;686869]Hi People -

Whether it's all because I was misdiagnosed originally - my US doctors never even would consider my requests to rethink the diagnosis lo these 20 years, said there was no way they were wrong about me. But I think many of us are actually misdiagnosed - and even for those who do have what we recognize as classical (?) PD, I think there are a lot of very different ways to think about it. And the fact that nothing is set in stone.....How could it be?

That reminded me of a comment made by Dr. Jerome Groopman. He is a professor at Harvard Medical School and is chief of experimental medicine at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. As well as regularly writing for the New Yorker magazine, he has authored a wonderful book entitled How Doctors Think.
In it he says the most important thing you can ask your doctor after a diagnosis is, "Could it be anything else?" It is a question that will force good doctors to reach beyond the symptoms and allow you both to consider alternatives.

Fiona, so glad that your world is transforming. You've been an intrepid explorer for all of us.

Jon
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (08-21-2010)