View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 12:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm08 View Post
hey bum, it's cool, everyone has a right to vent:d. You sound like an attorney or an ssd worker, it's all good.
I did ask the ssa agent why the medicare was being billed for last two years, agent said didn't know. Re: Ssi back-pay, when i was asked to come in i gave income proofs from 2006-2010, i did tell them i don't think i qualify for it, they did send me two checks totaling under 2,000, for dates they said i did qualify back then but i also noticed a couple of months for this year too.
I got the ssi notice re: The back-pay amounts and dates and it said no more benfits for ssi.
The back-pay i'm waiting for is from ssdi. My kids will get a continuing benefit under my name. Benefit rate is more than $674. When i was told my
monthly amount it looks like they're taking out $222.00,for next months first benefit check.
I havn't recieved my benefit letter, medicare card or any other info, it's fraustrating. Well, there's not really more i can do but wait. I call the ssa office and i get different stories.

Thanks
if you don't get an award letter after you get your first check call and ask for one. A lot of times the award letter comes after you get your first benefit check and they should be able to see it at that point even if you haven't received it yet, same with the medicare which iirc is on the same letter. If they are taking $221 (i know you said $222 but bear with me) that sounds to me like only 2 medicare premiums $110.50x2 which would be for august and september since medicare doesn't bill a month behind. The medicare card is always slow to come, however, you can call in/ come in and get a verification of medicare coverage so you can use it now. The 800# should...should be able to do this also. I would wait to after your first check to ask for it. You can also verify the effective date then as well if you still haven't received the letter.

Ssi is needs based so you received a small back pay for the months you weren't yet eligible for ssdi, and therefor, below the income limit and able to receive a check for those months. Since your ssdi benefit rate is over $674 (the federal benefit rate) you don't qualify for ssi for any months you were eligible for ssdi. That might be confusing but essentially ssi is no longer something you'll ever have just disregard it completely.

Your well on the way, the hardest part is def over. I would guess that everything should be straightened out by next month.

Oh, as far as the ssdi backpay, it always takes longer for the number holder to get their back pay. There are several factors involved that mostly have little to do with the local office and more to due with payment center and they are a lot of time backlogged. Give it 60 days after you get your award letter before you check on it. The more you check on it, the more action they take in the local office, the longer it takes. I know it sounds strange but don't call once a week. The local office doesn't release the payment for ssdi.

Hope that helps let me know if you have other questions. Without looking at your claim it's hard to answer everything in detail.
iMA_bUM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote