Thread: New symptoms.
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 05:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am the poster child for gluten intolerance caused neuropathy. I didn't know it 11 yrs ago (well, actually more than 11 yrs), yet neuropathy was one of my symptoms. I was suffering from malabsorption..I had gastro issues along with neuro issues. My sister had finally been diagnosed with celiac, and she talked me into going gluten free too. I had no insurance and no job at the time, so I couldn't afford to be tested. I have been gluten free for 10 yrs last month. There are many gluten intolerants whom have no symptom other than neuropathy...it's worth having the test, just to be sure, rule it out!

Quote:
When gluten sensitive people stop eating gluten, their small intestines are able to heal, and thereby are able to again absorb the vital nerve-nourishing nutrients once more, allowing them to heal their damaged nerves!
This is not always true. For some, the neuropathy goes away, which maybe they actually do not have neuropathy as of yet, just symptoms beginning. Some of us take years and years to heal, some never heal totally...yet sticking with the gluten is even worse when you have issues with it.

People with gluten issues have a 60% higher cheance of stomach cancers...this alone is one of the best reasons to be tested.

Quote:
While going gluten-free, take milk-free PROBIOTICS (acidophilus, bifidus, etc.), preferably without FOS's (fructo-oligo-saccharides), which (the FOS's)feed not only the beneficial bacteria/probiotics, but also feed bad bacteria, leading to digestive disturbances, reflux, etc.
I can't agree with this totally either. Not all probiotics are created equal and many do more damage than good. I have never found one I could use. The best thing a person can do is to eat natural, whole foods, nothing processed, stay away from sugar, modified corn syrups, pure cane sugar and such. And for most with gluten intolerance, B12 is a must. At this time I am takiong 5000mcg daily of Jarrow B12, and my neuropathy is not progressing, it never went away, but stopping the progression is good too.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote