View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 04:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My son had a fixed valve(non-programmable) shunt placed in June 2007. The fixed shunt overdrained and cause space between the brain and skull, and he developed a subdural hematoma (brain bleed). The hematoma caused him to have a seizure, which prompted us to take him to the ER for scans. This happened in November 2007. The doctor determined the best course of action was to replace the fixed valve on the shunt with a programmable valve, so they could control the amount of drainage appropriate for the pressure. The programmable shunt valve has worked great, and we have not had a problem with it. They are able to adjust the drainage/pressures as needed. The only thing you have to watch for with programmable shunts is when your kiddo has an MRI, the shunt has to be reset. This is because the shunt is programmed by a magnet, and the magnetic field of MRI can move the setting of the shunt.

I hope this information helps, since you said you had not heard anything good about programmable valve shunts, I wanted to let you know that it is working for us. My son is now 4, and developed hydrocephalus secondary to a Vein of Galen Aneurysmal Malformation.

Good luck in your research.
Mom of Twins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote