View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Annie,

I'm a huge fan of "throwing thoughts out!" I agree: that's how things get done. I don't intend to stop until I get a diagnosis, and I'm mighty grateful for your help.

I had a brain MRI first thing last fall, and neck, too. Also a CT-scan when I went to the ER once, after a particularly scary day and before anyone brought up MG. All normal.

I finished losing 50 pounds a year and a half ago, and I've been counting calories every since to maintain the loss. I'm by no means underweight! In fact, I'm just barely in the "not overweight" category for my height--BMI 24.9, that's me. But my daily calorie limit leaves me hungry for an hour before mealtimes, even when I'm careful about whole grains, protein/carb balance, etc. So it's no mystery why I'm hungry at 4:00...I do take my Mestinon around then (lucky me--I can take that stuff on an empty stomach with no problems).

Yes, creatinine phosphokinase is what I meant. My neuro thinks that between my normal CP levels and my normal EMG (it was only the SFEMG that was mildly abnormal) a lot of things are ruled out, like any kind of muscular dystrophy.

Cardiac...I don't know. My cholesterol and lipids are excellent (I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian--and yes, I had my B12 checked!). I used to have an arhythmia so I had an echo a few years ago, which was normal, and I haven't had the arhythmia problem for a long time.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm actually fascinated by this kind of thing, even when it doesn't have personal ramifications. My best guess right now is that I have atypical MG, but I'm not ruling out other diagnoses. I sort of want to ask my doctor: if no one tries to diagnose patients who present with symptoms that aren't typical of a known disease, then how do new diseases get discovered? I see him again in October.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote