View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--the ones that are 1000mcg and up--the idea is that one is taking a sufficiently large dose that one can get one's requirements through the 1-2% that will be passively absorbed throught the mucous membranes.

We've had some people who've had gastric surgery who daily took 3000-5000mcg of B12 so that they could count on absorbing 30mcg or each day and help rebuild stores and have enough for some repair processes (the "normal" daily requirement is somewhere around 2-8mcg).

Yes, with gastric bypass surgery you will defintiely be prone to malabsortion of many nutrients--I wouldn't be surprised if you have mineral deficiencies as well (have you been tested fo them?).
I used to take the under the tongue B12--but they were cherry flavor and made me feel so sick. I had to drink a ton of barium when I was little for a test I had, and they mixed cherry koolaid in the barium to make it taste better. All it did is make me sick every time I eat something cherry--so I need to try to find another type of B12 that doesn't involve cherry. I don't think I was on that high of a dose, though. I believe they were only 500 and I was taking two a day. I could be wrong, though.

I don't know if I have been tested for mineral deficiencies--is that also done through blood work? I had 19 viles of blood taken when I was at Mayo Clinic... they tested for everything under the sun... but that would be the only time I was tested--if I was at all.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote