View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 02:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I second the New Balance, but don't use the velcro yet

Hi there...
I like the New Balance also, they have a great "toe box" for the really sensitive toes. I haven't given in and started using the velcro ones yet, as in my mind those are for "handicapped, an/or old" people. I know, I "am" handicapped, and I "am" old... but I'm not ready to admit it yet. So I still wear the ones with laces. I just tie them loosely.

I have really progressed in what shoes I can wear now. Two years ago, there were almost NO shoes I could tolerate. Now, I've learned that if I switch out almost every day, I can tolerate a pretty wide variety of shoes. The priorities include: NO squeezing of the toes... NO pushing on the tops of the feet (I have a high instep) NO heel, whatsoever, that puts pressure on the balls of the feet and the toes... and NO flip flops, there is no feeling in my toes to "grip" the shoes, so they fly off when I take a step. It's quite entertaining actually.

So, basically they have to be
1. Flat
2. Grip my foot, not my foot grip them
3. Lots of toe room
4. Made from as natural a breathable fabric as possible. However, I usually wear socks unless it's above 80 degrees out.
5. If they are "closed" shoes, must be adjustable for days when my feet are feeling like they are giant baked potatoes.

Hope this helps!

Peripheral Neuropathy Since 2004
Learning to give my mind and body the care and feeding it needs to serve me to the fullest, so I can continue to be here with my family and friends.
SeamsLikeStitches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote