View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Wisdom teeth in Canada

My daughter has RSD and had 8 teeth removed last December - wisdom teeth and the molars in front of the wisdom teeth. The dental surgeon did it in a hospital, under a general anesthetic. They added ketamine to the anesthetic as well as an anti-nausea med. There was also a local freezing at the extraction site. The result: no RSD in the mouth or jaws.
Problem: each province funds dental surgery differently. In the "old days" Manitoba health funded hospital procedures 100%. Today, only the cost of the hospital stay (my daughter stayed overnight to make sure care was at hand as the freezing wore off) is covered by provincial health. The anesthetic cost was our responsibility as well as the surgeon, and - get this - the thread used for the stitches! The surgeon uses a different kind than the hospital uses. Blue Cross covered about 80%, but if you don't have private insurance, you are stuck with the whole bill, unfortunately. Dental work is very expensive, no question about it. But, it needs to be done. If you are on disability, there may be some help from them, I don't know. The surgeon, if he is at all human, will allow you to pay monthly installments. The option, not a good one necessarily, is go to your university's dental school. They may be able to help. Good luck, and best wishes.
Judysh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote