View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My parents "handicap" shower is anything but a handicap shower.

It has a step-up to get in and out of the shower! about 3 inches high!

Handicap showers arent supposed to have a step-up.

The drain is in the wrong spot. (there used to be a bathtub there, they didnt move the drain to the center like they were supposed to...so it's not to code)

The walls of their shower are made of marlite. (supposed to look like marble, but is like plastic walls or something) When they put the marlite up, they were supposed to have durock (concrete board) behind the marlite. Concrete board isnt supposed to grow mold or mildew. They didnt put any durock behind the marlite. It's open to the studs behind the marlite.

Oh, and the marlite isnt even attached to the walls with any adhesive. The contractors who built that shower 5yrs ago just attached the marlite to the studs using the grab bars they put in my mom's shower. I dont think they used any water proofing underneath the tiled floor since the dark moldy stuff seems to be coming thru the floor. So far it's just under the tile and not on top of the tile. It's discoloring the floor of the shower.

Our new contractors are much better. I got references and I've seen some of their previous work in other houses. The designer/decorator I hired is the same woman who decorated our house when it was built. (we bought the house as a spec home...it was already built and decorated when we first saw it, just needs some serious updating now after 8yrs and 5 of those years we had a rather large black dog that did a number on the paint job and the carpeting in the house.

Neuro still hasnt called me (calling back in a few minutes) but I feel a teeny bit better than I did when I started the thread. I've still got all the problems I was having, and now I feel like I'm limping on the right side. (hip is really numb, and standing is painful now) but I dont feel quite as physically sick as I felt a couple of days ago.

Still have a ton of fatigue tho. Had to move stuff around in the family room last night (putting stuff away in the storeroom that needs to be off the floor for all the remodeling) and it took me forever to do that because I had to push or drag it along, and had to keep sitting down to rest. I need to go grocery shopping, but I think I'm just giving my dad a list and sending him to do it for me because I dont think I could make it thru the store.

I froze my gym membership for 6 months today. Havent used it since March or April. Need to save the money since I'm not using it right now.

I just want this flare to end so that I can go back to what was normal. Starting to think I'll be stuck with these crappy symptoms and with the walking funny stuff.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-27-2010), Desinie (08-24-2010)