Thread: Update on me
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So sorry to hear that things are dragging on so much. I understand where you are coming from... I've had many doctors over the years (these SCS implants are just the latest in a long line of health problems I have had to deal with since I was a child), and have "fired" many of them. Now I'm at the point where I go in, meet the dr. and assess whether I will take THEM on as one of my dr.'s or if I'm going to move on to find another doctor. I don't suffer fools gladly, anymore.

I have found that you often have to really stay on top of the doctor (that doesn't sound good ...you know what I mean). At the first meeting I try to get chummy with the nurse and get her name and ask her if I may call her if I have any questions about my care, meds., referrals etc. Then I specifically call her and work with her to make sure things get done in a timely manner.

Also I make sure to get copies of everything...bloodwork, surgery notes, office notes, etc. and keep them in my records at home. Many times I've gone in to see a dr. that I've been referred to, and the only thing he/she has in their hand is my referral from my dr. and that's all. So they are thrilled (well, usually thrilled as my chart is so thick) when I have all this past info. to give them.

Sorry to go on so, but you struck a sore nerve here when you mentioned your dr. not sending your referral and you feeling like you have to chase after them to do it. Having copies from other doctors helps relay and confirm what you say your difficulties are, and when they see other doctors mentioning having treated you for that problem it goes a long way in validating your needing help.

I don't know if it's incompetence on the part of doctors or the fact that a lot of doctors and their staff are overloaded with patients and paperwork. I do know that my having copies of my records from all my doctors has made a huge difference when I go in to see a new doctor or even a current doctor. They can get patients confused and it's easy to pull out a copy of past bloodwork, an office note that another doctor may have made, or a past surgery transcription. I do whatever I can to make the office visit as smooth and worthwhile as possible. Again, sorry to ramble on Hopefully one or two things are helpful to you. Please know that you are in my prayers and thoughts.
fionab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (08-24-2010), Rrae (08-24-2010), tchr012 (08-25-2010)