Thread: New symptoms.
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked mystery of the "study" & the writer in "HealthNews"...

I spoke by phone, with the writer of the article that quoted the 10 person "study", that concluded that going gluten-free could hurt one's count of their own probiotics (acidophilus, bifidus, etc.).

The writer of that article in HealthNews.com is Lara Endreszl (in the San Francisco Bay area). She sounded like a nice lady, but seemed to know very little about gluten sensitivity. She was not aware that there is such a thing as non-Celiac gluten sensitivity, and she also didn't know very much about peripheral neuropathy (when I asked).

She used to be a staff writer for an online health magazine called HealthNews.com but she hasn't worked there since the beginning of 2010. HealthNews.com has no phone number in their website to call, and when I tried to register so I could "contact" them, they never sent me a password! They are a mysterious group, that I now suspect may be related to either insurance companies &/or drug companies!

Lara now works for a mental health (behavioral health) division (called Optum Health) of an umbrella group (based in Twin Cities, MN) called UnitedHealth Group.

Also owned by the umbrella group UnitedHealth Group, is, a big HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY called United Healthcare! (very expensive health insurance company...).

I asked Lara to please read Dr. Kenneth Fine's "EnteroLab" website, at www.finerhealth.com so she could learn more about non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. I won't hold my breath, but I hope she does.

So, my moral of this story, is to not believe everything that's in print (including what I say) right away, just because it's in some "health"-looking website. Check up on everything, to be sure there's not some motivation that we wouldn't have know about otherwise.

One example of this, is the "Ad Council", that is mentioned on so many radio ads. I checked into who exactly is on the board of the "Ad Council", and was sad to see a significantly big number of BIG PHARMA reps!

I'm still waiting for a reply from one of the "scientists" I emailed, who supposedly did that 10 person "study" showing how supposedly bad it is to eat gluten-free, if not a Celiac patient. I'll report back, if I get a reply.

Carol
concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
concerned lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote