View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I've rolled the roll

Last year I had a high above the knee amputation of my left leg. I was scheduled for duel above the knee amputations, but the day before surgery I backed out and decided I could only handle one at a time. The doctors regularly remind me that the right leg still needs to go. Now let's talk about the why.

Doing an amputation for pain management is by my opinion the worst solution since I've learned firsthand that not only did my pain levels not decrease, but actually increased on the left leg that was amputated. If you're thinking you can cut off the pain, I'm so very sorry - but my experience has shown me that this simply isn't what will occur.

The reason we did amputate (and have more ahead) is because my crushed nerves and RSD (that spread to both legs) has battled incessant infections and blood clots problems for years. Both legs are narcotic (black as ink). We've been forced into amputation simply because the body parts were already dead.

Ironically I expected both the blood clot problem and the pain to lessen once I had at least one of my black legs removed, but that didn't turn out to be the case whatsoever. Instead I'm taking nearly twice the dosage of blood thinners so we can keep me in a safer blood thickness zone and my internal morphine pump (I'm now on my 2nd one - I've had then for 7 1/2 years) had to have its dosage increased another 20% even though I was already at a very high internal drip rate.

Because RSD usually won't tolerate anything applying of pressure such as a sock, or pants or worse yet a prosthesis, this has made any kind of fake leg an option that won't work for me. I've also been told that we could still be looking at a stage where we'll need to take more off of the left leg. "Yikes, I don't have 4 inches of stump, and they're advising we could take more!" It's all because RSD can spread - well at least in my situation it has like a wildfire.

If you want to talk more, please contact me and I'll share anything you want to know regarding the gruesome details of the hell that followed my radical pedicure.

I see amputation as a method of pain control as being equal to buying a new car when your engine goes out, except in this case you switch out the car body but you keep the old engine. The RSD will have not gone away, so chopping off the problem isn't really a solution that eases the pain whatsoever.

Very best of luck, and please make sure you make a very well informed decision before choosing this life altering of an option. I know this last year has been a unique hell that's been so hard, I'm not sure I'll proceed with my second amputation even though I know the consequences of my actions if I don't. The changes you're looking at must be fully understood and explored before this type of radical solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptydepth View Post
Okay, so ive had my RSD for about two years now, i have it in the side if my right knee and sometimes in my shin. i got it from sports and an accident, im actally not sure what exactly caused it. Anyway, i desire more than anything to be able to walk normally again, ATLEAST. Fortunately enough, my Rsd hasnt spread to anywhere else in my body.
ive done most everything to try and fix it. ive had several lumbar Nerve blocks, ive tried physical therapy, ive tried a tenz unit (still use it on those occasional days with random nerve spasms) Several Seizure Medications, waiting (maybe not long enough). Anyway, ive tried everything short of a Ketamin infusion and Amputation. I was just wondering if anyone here had either heard stories of Amputations or had actually had one done? Or if people had any advice as far as treatment goes?
As a side note, i am slightly concerned about cost but only because im a minor and im unsure what my parents insurance will cover. Id like to know what im dealing with first hand before i go to them for fear that theyll reject it. While i may be concerned with price of amputation and prosthetics, the price of walking and atleast being able to function semi-normally is priceless to me... Thank you for any help you provide
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (08-26-2010), keep smilin (08-26-2010), llrn7470 (08-29-2010), loretta (08-26-2010), Rrae (08-29-2010)