View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've frequently posted this but here goes again. My jerks STOP if I take enough magnesium. A neuro told me to look for the one which causes least diarrhea, 25 years or so in the distant past. My dose started at 800 a day, ramped to 1050, now at 900. I use Mag Oxide divided into two parts, one at lunch and one at dinner or bedtime. I take Calcium too but not at the same time; both are needed but are antagonists. What makes the Mag more effective is 100 mg B1 a day. I never have jerks if I have ENOUGH
magnesium, but I can have breakthrough ones if I need more. i.e., if I'm jerking at 900 mg I need another 125 mg. My jerks are in my legs and lower back, sometimes reaching into the upper back. I would never ever sleep if I did not have mag., and I fear the day when supplements might be regulated so much I couldn't get it. That would be the "end" for me.

Is this an MS thing, you ask? Either MS or Porphyria, as I have both, and both can cause this. Definitely a neurological thing, but isn't it odd that a supplement stops it?
Makes me think I need more than the average bear, as is also true for potassium.

I've put this down many times and I don't know if anyone follows it. It means I don't have to take the drugs some take for this. I do take a small dose of Klonopin for other
reasons, but it would not stop the jerks unless I went to such a high dose that I would be
asleep all the time.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-27-2010)