View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltiemom View Post
Having been through a fair number of doc appointments since this began in January (realize there are those of you who've been doing for a lot longer), and m about ready to jump off this merry-go-round.

Sorry for probably repeating myself, but I was unable to tolerate the usual suspect meds (gabapentin, Lyrica, etc.).

So - does anybody here honestly know whether or not there is anything other than those meds that will take the edge off small fiber sensory neuropathy?

If there isn't, then I'm done paying co-pays if neuros/rheumys can't do anything else for the SFSN and things stay stable. About mid-way through this search, I had a pain management neuro tell me, quite honestly, that he couldn't help me. He didn't keep taking my money, and I appreciated that.

Thanks,

Sheltiemom

I have suffered with a pure-sensory small-fiber neuropathy on and off over the last five years.

That said, I have found both Cymbalta 60 mg per day and Lyrica 100 - 150 mg day to be quite effective (each taken separately in my case).

I got total relief of my tingling and burning within 24 hours on the Lyrica (but with some drowsiness to go with it), and also about 75% overall relief on the Cymbalta.

Cymbalta, however, does take roughly two - three weeks to reach maximum effectiveness.

You must first take Cymbalta at a dose of 30 mg per day for the first seven days to titrate-up, at which point you go to the full strength of 60 mg per day on the 8th day.

You might consider taking the Cymbalta at 60 mg per day, and then taking 50 mg of Lyrica at night in combination to supplement.

Each has a different mode of action (Cymbalta = Antidepressent and Lyrica is an Anticonvulsent), and together they have a syngestic effect at a lower dose then each would achieve separately

Best of luck!.
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sheltiemom (08-27-2010)