View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default mirapex, what happens if you go off sinemet

i wish that i had not tried to delay sinemet by taking a dopamine agonist, mirapex. i had serious problems with obsessive compulsive behavior and i also lost the ability to handwrite. i have taken sinemet for about six years during which time i went off it twice because i believed i didn't have parkinson's disease; i believed i was somaticizing parkinson's disease. i was crazy, but that's another story. i became almost immobile, and was hospitalized because there was concern about my nutrition and the possibility of my choking. when i went back on sinemet i regained the function that i had previously. i get dystonia, cramping of my feet and calves, almost every day, ten minutes to two hours, more often in the afternoon or evening. i can't walk on dystonic feet; i'm planning on asking if amantadine would help at my next neuro appt.

barb

QUOTE=imark3000;684821]Dear Trixiedee
I was almost at same place as you are 2 months back: 4 years since diagnosis without medics (but I am 67). I take loads of supplements, exercise 2 hours a day diligently. I have energy and no movement complains except tremor, memory and speech problems.

However, I decided to start sinemet for the following reasons (This is purely my opinion):

1) I always believed that sinemet is toxic and may cause speeding of the progress of disease but lack of dopamine seems to lead to even worse deterioration. I was specially influenced by the research that claimed and presented the many roles of dopamine in our functioning including movement memory (or muscle memory). In other words: without dopamine we seem to forget how to move.

2) Overall experience of doctors (as they claim), indicates generally better performance of patients who started earlier on sinemet.

3) It is vital to be at best TODAY, because this will enable you to exercise body and brain. 'Use it or loose it' is the point in mind.

I encourage you to watch the discussions in following link which summarises the point of view of the medical establishment today regarding PD medics:

http://www.neuroconnection.net/

I also encourage you to follow in parallel to medics (if any) a rigorous regime of exercise, yoga, taichi, music, dance , etc.. and learn to find joy in life, as many of the PD veterans on this forum do.

Best of luck
Imad[/QUOTE]
bldavidson56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bob Dawson (08-28-2010), jcitron (12-31-2011), soccertese (08-26-2010)