View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Debra, It is a scary thought to have major surgery when you've just had so many close calls. Do they think you are stable enough now for surgery? That would be a big consideration. You went downhill pretty fast before. And it is a big recovery, not that I would know anything about it since they wouldn't do it on me (too many other issues).

You know the deal, it's a roll the dice kind of thing with thymectomy. The research is all over the place as to whether or not it increases the remission rates or if it's a thymectomy in combo with immunosuppressants that does it. Antibodies are not only "created" by the thymectomy. The immune system is a complicated issue. There are many who believe keeping your GI tract/mucosa healthy makes your immune system healthy. I tend to agree with that, in theory.

If you think that the surgery will do you no real harm and that it "may" give you a higher chance of remission, then you'll have to decide if it's worth that chance. You can read all the studies but it really comes down to whether you can physically handle it and what kind of risks you want to take.

I hope you can figure it all out. And I'm sorry your last IVIG was so bad.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote