View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well after much thought I have decided to write to my pain doctor and leave this up to him.

Here is the letter I am going to send if anyone has any comments, concerns or suggestions please feel free to let me know

Thanks.

I am writing to you to ask for your assistance in regards to changes that have been made to my treatment plan. As you are aware I have been prescribed Oxycontin as well as Oxycodone for BT pain. This combination has been very valuable in treating my chronic pain syndrome. It has helped return me to a more normal lifestyle and for that I am grateful.

During a recent follow up appointment after it was discussed that I may have Lyme disease I was advised that a taper protocol would be implemented and my pain medications would be discontinued. I then asked for a more through reason as to why this decision was reached and the only explanation I received was that opioids do not work for Lyme. I must say I am concerned and confused by this explanation. On my worst days my pain has ranged anywhere from an eight to nine. Needless to say it has made my daily activities very difficult. After taking my prescribed medications these levels are decreased by as much as fifty percent. The improvements to my life have been remarkable. If this medication needs to be stopped wouldn’t it be prudent to offer another type medication or treatment? Or perhaps wait until improvement is shown? I have no issues with the discontinuation of opioid therapy if there were another option made available that would treat my pain levels as successfully.

At this point in time it is also not known if Lyme is solely responsible or not but irregardless, it has been suggested by a Lyme Literate physician and Rheumatologist that my neck issues are unrelated. It has been mentioned that I be re-evaluated for spinal deformities. In the time since I have last spoken with you my neck pain has increased dramatically. The pain in my neck is now radiating into my shoulders and shoulder blades, has caused pain and weakness in my right arm and occipital headaches as well. I also appear to have Lhermitte's Sign with movement of my head and neck and possible Hoffman’s sign in my right hand. I have increased difficulty with walking and upon waking I have complete numbness in both my arms and legs.

I would ask that my pain medication be returned to previous levels until I have had a chance to be seen and re-evaluated.

I thank you for your time and assistance regarding these matters.

Sincerely,

Last edited by Quahog; 02-10-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Quahog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote