View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 12:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dr. Walker, qEEG & other ideas

Hi from Dallas!

So so sorry for your family's suffering. My son (head injury w surgery & coma at age 9; persisting "challenges") and I have both been patients of Dr. Walker's (it's been around 4 years ago since we've seen him). Dr. Walker is very kind, compassionate & attentive, and offers many modalities that may be of use. Dr. Walker also is incredibly committed and stays on the leading edge of advances, being very active in the research end of the equation as well as treatment; truly a man with a deeply felt mission to help. QEEG is very helpful in understanding just where the brain is having its greatest challenges, and generally getting a better grasp of what is going on. AND doing these treatments through Dr. Walker is MUCH more likely to get insurance coverage than any other place I've found (even my Medicare covered it... elsewhere just the initial QEEG & interpretation is pretty expensive & uncovered, before you ever get to any treatments.)

All of that being said, neither my son nor I achieved miraculous results w neurofeedback. However, we did meet fellow patients there who did. The brain is still so little understood that what works for one may not work for the next. Just wouldn't want you to set your heart on a magic wand in Dallas.

HOWEVER, in the course of researching re my son's second head injury (he's now in college in Colorado; can't believe we're at this again... this time milder, but seems cumulative - post-concussion syndrome - many functional difficulties), have learned that EEG neurofeedback has made dramatic advances since 4 years ago - so Dr. Walker's current treatments likely have a higher efficacy than those my son & I did with him.

ALSO you might want to look into hemoencephalography - a newer subcategory of neurofeedback that targets oxygen to the specific parts of the brain where it's needed. (Don't rely on me... just google it, and I'm sure you'll get lots of info.) I don't know whether Dr. Walker uses this, but it's one modality I'm currently looking into in Colorado. My son has also started hyperbaric treatments there, since his injury is very recent; don't know whether your daughter's injury is recent enough for this to be a meaningful option.

Last note: I just learned what a MD specialty in Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine, and so very glad I did. (aka Physiatrist) (again, definition/ description readily available online.) If you're like me, you may not know what "magic word" to ask for, but if you're not yet working with a doc in this specialty, you may want to check it out.

Sending you prayers and all the best wishes,
Mom in Dallas

P.S. I have found tremendous relief in "detox." (At a minimum, lots of clean water, green leafy vegetables, & plain chicken & fish, low carb, w no sugar & no sugar substitutes other than liquid stevia.) Your daughter's symptoms might also find relief there. Google "mercury + health", "mercury + candida", acetaldehyde, BPA, "heavy metals toxicity", "headache + toxins." Many things we either ingest or are otherwise exposed to, or which are the product of imbalanced gut microbes, are neurotoxins. (One example is aspartame, which is incredibly widespread - diet colas, "Crystal Light" & so many more.) Anyway, very difficult to find a Western medicine doctor w any awareness of the connection between neurological symptoms & toxins, but Dr. Walker is one of the rare few who gets this and can help. There's SO much to know on this topic - and I understand that it's not where everyone's "inclined to go", but just wanted to make sure you know that this is a possibility you might want to consider.

Quote:
Hi,

How is your son doing today - it has been almost a year since this post?

I'm still desperately looking for help for my daughter who is 15. It is 2 yrs in January since her injury. Her symptoms remain much the same - headaches, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, fatigue - all from being exposed to noisy situations, light changes, physical activity, reading or concentrating for too long. She also has had 9 non-epileptic seizures in 23 months.

What have you found that has helped?

I have recently been looking at Dr. Walker's Neurotherapy Center in Dallas as an option. They do qEEG guided neuro-feedback. Any experience or knowledge of this good or bad?

Linda (mom) in CT
DallasTXhth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Tralee (08-29-2010)